Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 10

Today was Test day, oh my. I'm learning, hopefully I can do much much better next week. Hiragana is coming to me.

On Fridays there is a cultural experience, and today we learned how to do Ikebana which translates to living flower, or as we know it flower arrangement. Our teacher was 80 years old and she instructed us first by making her own Ikebana.


She was mid way through, those long stick branches you can barely see, were the foundation. You make the foundation pieces in a triangle, that's the key. Inside the bowl is a kensai I believe it's called, a small flat circle with spikes which you stick the flowers on so that they stand up accordingly.


And she was done, pretty. We did not have a broad selection of flowers due to the winter months, but those red flowers represents the new year.

I asked why Ikebana was important and it is because nature is revered by Japanese culture, and you are celebrating nature through ikebana. I also looked it up and apparently it may have started out as a Buddhist tradition when they would offer flowers to the spirits of  the dead. Ikebana is also used in Tea Ceremony's for decoration, and we will do a tea ceremony next week.


Tada My Ikebana


My Ikebana and me. Shout Owts to Delta Sigma Theta for turning 99 today! Oo-OOp. I had to support by wearing my 22 women paved the way shirt. 


others ikebana

My Ikebana again with my name in Katakana(sp). I could not recognize it because I don't know this alphabet yet.


And I guess I did have a pic yesterday, this is the Japanese garden outside my class window. I can't wait to see it in the spring. And out yonder is Lake Biwa. It's so peaceful here


Well that about does it. Happy Founders Day! to my Soror readers and...

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment