Monday, February 20, 2012

Days 45-47

Homestay Weekend.

This weekend I stayed with the Tsuchida family. It was a great time so lets take a step back

Day 45.

I was Picked up by Mrs. Tsuchida and her two daughters, Riho age 6 and Mizuki age 3. They were happy to see me. We drove about twenty minutes and arrived at their home. It was in a town just outside of Hikone. Their house was newly built only three years ago, and they lived on Mr. Tsuchida's Father's land. His father is a farmer and grows wheat and carrots among other things. Mrs. Tsuchida is a house wife and enjoys flower arranging, (Ikebana), I showed her the Ikebana I made and she enjoyed it. Mr. Tsuchida is I believe what we will call an electrician or electrical Techniction (sp). I didn't actually call them Mr.  and Mrs. proper japanaese is to just say Tsuchida san, i just stuck with sumimasen when i had questions. that's just excuse me.

The land in front of their house, carrot fields


my room, I was shocked to have my own room

My bed, a futon, not our futon, the cover underneath was soooooo warm.

more land and houses

For dinner we had what i call sushi bites. Oishi des. They were delicious. And we had japanese fried chicken and some type of soup and plenty of oocha(green tea). Mr. Tsuchida arrived home and we introduced ourselves. I played some card games with the children and taught them Itsy bitsy spider. One of the cards games actaully helped me with my listening, so I was greatful. They spoke some English which was great along with their Japanese to English dictionary. It was nice practicing my vocabulary, also reminded me how important it is. But Mrs. Tsuchida did a working holiday in Australia a while back, and the two little girls took a summer course in English so it was nice.

Day 46
Doyoobi ni (saturday), I was awoken by Mizuki and Riho saying "good morning goodmorning" repeatedly in English. It was cute. I changed and went down for breakfast which was this great rice bread and jam, along with some type of lettuce chicken and egg concoction. Mrs. Tsuchida had to take Mizuki to Preschool, so my afternoon was spent with Mr. Tsuchida and Riho. We went to look at some Japanese doll exhibits. From my research, because I could not read the things in Japanese, they are called Hina dolls. They are usually of the emperor and queen during the time the dolls were made. Not exactly them, but fashioned in what they would wear, and the accessories of plates, dressers, combs, ect. to be of that time period. So no captions just pics below:







 Mr. Tsuchida and Riho
Me and Mr. Tsuchida

Me in front of a Japanese garden, I want one of these in my backyard

look, this is what we just posed as, don't know what it is though unfortunately.

Kyusu, Tes pot, I want to by one of these before I leave, a nice size one

Mrs. Tsuchida, Mizuki, Riho and I in front of their Hina Dolls

 For lunch we ate at a hamburger place, but hamburger in Japan is more like a piece of meatloaf with just ground beef. interesting. For dinner we had goza I believe, it' a Chinese dish popular in japan. It was good. And we ended the night watching half of Avatar. So I've never seen Avatar, and seeing it in Japanese, I'm just like so now I know what happens, but I have no idea what anyone said.

Day 47

 Us on their front porch

My last day was good, we had toast and a omelette for breakfast. We went to a temple, that through me for a loop because i thought we were headed to this pottery place and not anywhere else. I felt kind where being at a Buddhist Temple on a Sunday when I'm supposed to be in the house of the lord. And then she gave me a coin to throw in a box and said you make a wish. I just said a prayer to my God and kept it moving. 
Me in front of the temple. and the box is where you make the wish. 

Then she asked if I liked horoscope, but I felt like to much was happening so I just said no

Mizuki and Riho shook a box and got a stick. They went and paid for their horoscope. Apparently it wasn't good
 Then you are supposed to tie it on here for good luck.

So after that we traveled two hours to this pottery place. We were supposed to make cups

foundation of cup

tada- cup

so I tried, The children painted

my foundation, starting off good

Not to bad, but it gets worse (sidebar, I look significantly smaller here than i do in that other picture. Cameras man, making my face look fat. But Oh well)

My disaster. I tried man, I decorated this side, and wrote the date in Kanji on the other

Mrs. Tsuchida's

Mr. Tsuchida's

This was my handle inspiration to turn my disaster into something

I won't get it back till March. i believe I saw an end product, and it's gonna look pretty snazzy. Will Post a pic then.

Posing with Tanuki which was everywhere in this town, they are supposed to be cheerful, it's a racoon dog, I looked it up, but if interested you might want to do the same, it was too much to type.

But that was my homestay.

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment